Joe Fleming

OK - I got a few complaints that I didn't review the conference
adequately. My previous post was targeted toward the KC turners who
were the hosts. Many of the features of the symposium are out of their
control, so I didn't comment on them.

First of all, this symposium was great. I enjoyed the whole
experience. All of the rotations I attended were very well done with
only one technical difficulty in one session. Topics were relevant to
my turning needs.

The trade show had a very good variety of vendors. There were a number
of new lathes on the market. All the major vendors were there,
although Packard didn't have any inventory there.

The instant gallery was outstanding. I am always humbled by the number
of outstanding pieces and turners. If you surf the web, you will find
a number of people who have posted photos.

The surrounding events were good too. The banquet was very nice. The
benefit auction raised about $68,000 from around 80 pieces.

The Kansas City turners that hosted the WOW dinner on Friday evening
found a very good steakhouse (Jess and Jim's?).

The best part of these events is meeting new friends and reaquainting
with old friends. Lots of familiar faces were there. I even had the
opportunity to meet up with a scout leader from my youth (30 years ago)
who is a turner in Des Moines, IA.

I was the only registered participant from San Diego. I think more
turners should be going to these events to expand their turning
horizons. I encourage all of you to consider the regional and national
symposia available in your neighborhoods.

Joe Fleming - San Diego