Paul Franklin

Default DIY Blacktop Installation?

Anyone done any DIY asphalt blacktop installation? I don't mean cold
patching, but actual hot asphalt? I have a small section of driveway
(about 15 feet long) that I would like to widen by about 2 feet.

I'd really rather hire this out, and I have called a bunch of
contractors for quotes, but once they find out it's a small job, I
never hear back from them.

Can I install a good compacted gravel base, get a load of asphalt
(where?), rent a small road roller, and do this myself? The existing
asphalt is in pretty good shape, although the edge is crumbling a bit,
so I'd have to remove a few inches.

TIA,

Paul