SteveB

"Harry Muscle" wrote in message
oups.com...
I just moved into a house build in 1971 and the living room has a
popcorn or acoustic ceiling. It looks like it's been painted, probably
a few times. It doesn't look the best anymore, so a friend of mine
offered to re-popcorn the whole ceiling for me. He said I just have to
prime it first. However, I'm debating if I really want to do this.
I've read that the bond of the "popcorn" is very week and the more
stuff you add to the ceiling the more weight and the possibility of
patches coming down due to the weight of a couple layers of paint and
new texture. Is re-popcorning such a ceiling a common practice? Does
it usually come out good when done by someone who knows what they are
doing?

Or should I just get rid of it. I'm concerned about asbestos though.
I've called around to get a sample tested, but it's quite expensive and
it takes a long time for results. I've got about a weeks to figure out
what to do and actually do it, since that's when the floor guy is
comming to refinish the floors, after that I'd rather not mess with the
ceiling anymore.

Thanks for any input,
Harry

I just had it taken off the ceiling in my family room and dining room. I
wonder why I didn't take it off ten years ago.

Take it off! Makes it easier to paint, keep clean, all sorts of stuff.

But, when you do have it taken off, I would suggest that you have it
retextured to match the walls. Not really expensive, and with a new coat of
paint, will look like a totally different room.

If you are going to have other work done, and have to clear the floor, NOW
is the time to get it done.

I guarantee you will not regret it.

Steve