Carolina Breeze HVAC

"chester" wrote in message

MrC1 wrote:

Just wanted to note something about your comment regarding amperage. Do
you
have 200A? Huh?

Amperage is a matter of how much you draw, not how much is directed to
your
house. Your main breaker is probably rated to a max of 200A (and
probably
so is your panel), nothing more. If you try to pull more than 200A,
you'll
getit until you pop the breaker or fry something.

I have a main panel rated for 200A. However, I am not absolutely certain
the house is wired for that, FROM THE STREET. For example, say my house
was wired in the 50s for 100A, or 60A maximum. And the main panel, but not
the wiring to the house, was changed. I am sure it has happened somewhere
by a DIY or bad electrician. I dont want to draw more than what the
system can handle, because I dont want to "fry" something.

i.e. So while 200A might not be "directed at my house", I want to make
sure that from the street to my house is set to handle 200A of DRAW. I
can't belive it isn't, but I want to make sure.

Most local utility companies will come out and let you know....most will
also upgrade the feed to the home in SOME areas at no cost provided proper
permits have been pulled and inspections made on the panel box when
upgrading by a licenced electrician.
Here, all thats required if the service to the home, GOING INTO THE PANEL is
not up to the panels capacity, (ex: 60A service to the powerhead going into
a 200A box), is a permit and the local utility will upgrade the line at no
cost to the homeowner.