zxcvbob

chester wrote:

MrC1 wrote:

Just wanted to note something about your comment regarding amperage.
Do you
have 200A? Huh?

Amperage is a matter of how much you draw, not how much is directed to
your
house. Your main breaker is probably rated to a max of 200A (and
probably
so is your panel), nothing more. If you try to pull more than 200A,
you'll
getit until you pop the breaker or fry something.

I have a main panel rated for 200A. However, I am not absolutely certain
the house is wired for that, FROM THE STREET. For example, say my house
was wired in the 50s for 100A, or 60A maximum. And the main panel, but
not the wiring to the house, was changed. I am sure it has happened
somewhere by a DIY or bad electrician. I dont want to draw more than
what the system can handle, because I dont want to "fry" something.

i.e. So while 200A might not be "directed at my house", I want to make
sure that from the street to my house is set to handle 200A of DRAW. I
can't belive it isn't, but I want to make sure.

The wires between the electric utility and the main breaker (this
includes the electric meter) are the only wires than have to handle
200A. These should be very large copper wires or enormous aluminum
wires (I don't recall the exact minimum sizes for 200A).

You can only have one circuit going to the shed. If 120V/20A is
sufficient, you can directly bury a strand of UF cable and it only has
to be covered 12 inches if it is protected by a GFCI at the house. If
120V/20A is not enough, you probably want to run at least a 240V/30A
circuit to a small subpanel (it has to be rated for "service equipment",
but almost all of them are) and split it into smaller circuits at the
shed. This larger circuit would have to be run in conduit and/or be
buried a lot deeper, (or run it overhead with UF or triplex or quadplex
cable) but it would not need GFCI protection at the house. (You will
want GFCI outlets installed in the shed.)

Overhead wiring is more trouble than it sounds like (don't ask me how I
know this) so I recommend buried cable if at all possible.

Best regards,
Bob