meirman

In alt.home.repair on Tue, 02 Aug 2005 10:24:00 -0400 "CL (dnoyeB)
Gilbert" posted:

meirman wrote:
I have an expensive auto compass -- but I've lost the instructions --
with a wire in which both halves are black, but one side is marked
with grey or white rectangles. Which one is the ground?

Thanks

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.

Try both. Low voltage DC, you wont damage anything. The one that makes
the compass point the right way I assume is the correct one. Also
consider that its for a light or something and it does not matter.

It's both for the light and the guts.

I was doing wiring now, and hoping to solder the wire in place while
the compass itself waits for me to make a bracket to hold it in
place**.

But you're right, I can hook it up while it dangles from the dash and
see what it does.

** The new dashboard is practically vertical. I have to make a
complicated bracket, at least 4 bends. Not even sure how wide I want
the bracket to be, so I'm stalling.

I went back to radio shack where they used to sell this, to remind
myself how to set north and south, but they didn't have compasses or
this model anymore. I think I remember how to set north and south
though.

I bought a lot of car compasses over the years and this is the first
to work. 30 years ago I wrote to AirGuide and asked them if I bought
a more expensive compass, would it work, and they wrote back that they
were all the same and sent me more double sided tape to try new
locations.

Since then I once had a 3/4inch plastic sphere, that came atttached to
a convex rear view mirror clip on, that worked. It only cost a
dollar. Eventually the water drained out. Another that looked the
same, but had a suction cup didn't work. Maybe the prior car had an
unusually balanced or absent magnetic field where the compass was.

Meirman