Joseph Meehan

..

So, if the filament shorts or overlaps itself or any of these things,
then when the light gets brighter, I would assume the wattage also
increases, and thus the amount of electricity being used. Is this
correct?

Yes, and the lamp becomes more efficient so the amount of increased
light is more than the increased energy used. Of course you pay with
shorter lamp life.

This leads to yet another point. If the wattage does
increase, and it was a 100 watt bulb in a fixture rated at maximum
wattage 100w. Then the fixture is really overloaded, right?

Usually not. Fixtures are rated for temporary overloads.

suppose this could actually become a safety issue, even though the
bulbs generally burn out soon.

It could, but I would believe that the actual number where it becomes a
safety issue is very very small.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit