Calvin Henry-Cotnam

Calvin Henry-Cotnam ) said...

Tman (tman9_at_comcast.netremoveunderscores) said...
I need to transfer a handful of circuits from the main panel to the sub
panel. Can I do this the easy way.. by leaving each circuit run in the main
panel, and splicing the hots ONLY with a wire nut to feed to the subpanel
via wire of the appropriate guage in a conduit? Anything to be aware of
here, especially if it is OK to leave the ground and neutrual for these
transferred circuits terminated in the main panel? I could run those to,
but not if I don't need to...

Hmmm. Something I didn't have to deal with, since mine was new construction
so all the transfer-switch circuits had their home runs to the transfer
switch. What you are essentially doing is running a "switch loop" for each
of these circuits. On the surface, this seems acceptable, but I would run
it past your inspector before getting started.

Let me correct what I said here, as I was thinking only about the
non-generator operation.

You will have to run a full cable for each branch circuit that was in your
main panel to the transfer panel. Both its hot and neutral must be terminated
in the transfer panel.

There is part of me saying that the heavy neutral between the main panel
and the transfer panel would handle the neutral current in generator mode,
since it only exists when mains current is cut off, but there's something
nagging me that this is not quite right.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon