Ross

Thanks for taking the time to reply in such detailed manner. All makes
very interesting reading, particularly the complications involved in
checking a meter's accuracy. My reason for originally doubting my
meter's accuracy was that quite a few units get clocked up during the
night. I've turned off all appliances that were previously on standby
or on a clock (microwave, video etc), but I have a fridge/freezer AND a
freezer. The freezer frequently freezes up quickly so I now think that
it is inefficient and is probably the reason. Both are half empty so I
plan to move all contents to the fridge/freezer, turn the freezer
permanently off and see if electric usage drops.

Thanks again for such an interesting insight.

Ross

SQLit wrote:
"Ross" wrote in message
ups.com...
By the way this is a Brit meter so that explain it somehow. I'm
encouraged by your remark that you can't imaging a kWh meter measuring
closer than 0.1. I thought about testing it by turning on my 750 watt
microwave for say, 10 minutes and calculating the desired usage. But
there are other appilances in use, fridge, freezer etc that it wouldn't
be accurate.

I couldn't find a K(subH) that you mentioned. Below the meter reading
there is 240v - S 200.31 - 166 2/3 revs/kWh - 1PH 2W - Class 2 0 -
Floton. Beneath 240v, there is 20 80A and 50Hz. It is a Sangamo Western
meter and is the property of South Eastern Electricity Board. Most of
this is double dutch to me George, but it may mean something to you?

It is a simple Kwh meter. The numbers you provide indicate which meter it
is.
The best thing you can do is call your supplier and ask for some one to come
out and explain it to you. The 80a means that the meter will handle 80 amps.
Hz is self explanatory.
I have not a clue what the 20 is.

Here in the US meters read left to right. That gives you a number. Some
meters are direct read, they actually read correctly. On large users I have
seen multipliers of 1000. I have seen multipliers on homes of 5-10. Each
meter can and may be set by the utility for a specific purpose.

The odds that you will be able to "check" your meter are astrominical. I
have been working on meters for 20 years. You need specific calibrated
equipment. Utilities where I live are allowed by Arizona law to be within
3%. I know a lot of the meter guys and they established plus or minus 0.5%.
I have seen 3 residential meters out of calibration in 30 years. One was low
and the customer was bitching. He really bitched when they fixed the
problem. Commercial demand meters in the old days were subject to some
whims and could wander out of calibration. I know of one that has been
wrong for 10 years and the customer knows it the utility knows it and they
leave it alone. It took me 6 months and well over 100K of equipment to
prove the meter was wrong. The utility just made an adjustment for that
month and lowered the kwh charge for future bills. End result was the same.

If you think your bill is to high look carefully on your side. Something
running more than it should or a new load. Chances are it is on your side of
the meter not their side.

It might be possible for something in the meter to be awry, odds are against
ya..

Everything above is referenced from the USA. Should be close enough for
where you are.