Joseph Meehan

On Mon, 1 Aug 2005 15:13:33 +0000 (UTC),
(Don
Klipstein) wrote:

Don

Since you seem to have much knowledge about bulbs, I got another
question. When I drop a trouble light using a standard indecescant
bulb (or even a heavy useage bulb made for trouble lights), the bulb
often gets much brighter than it was originally, but usually they burn
out shortly after. Is this extra brightness because particles fall
off the filament and it gets thinner, or is there another reason?

Thanks

It is because part of the filament has shorted across itself and reduced
the resistance and increased the current flow. As they get older the
filament may sag and with a trouble light it may be moved into different
positions so the filament can cross over itself easier than in a fixed
light.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit