Andy Hall

Default New Electrical Regulations

On Mon, 18 Aug 2003 01:49:36 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Andy Hall wrote:

My post was about the proposed part P to the Building Regulations.

Perhaps you would like to return to the topic and comment on that.

snip undemocratic legislative process

Joe public will have never heard of part P of the building regs and will
carry on DIYing. They may find out when they have trouble selling their
house, but a nice cottage industry in post certification will spring up
(the more Internet savvy will just download a suitable certification
form from the web and print it out).

You may find it harder to buy electrical "bits" from the sheds, so more
of jo public's relations will croak as a result of that dodgy socket
that they would have fixed if only they could have got the replacement
part, but weren't prepared to pay 75 quid for Mr. Accredited wiring
monkey to come and do if for them.

Still look at the bright side - we will be so much safer now the gov.
has spent millions of our money looking after us like this.... thanks Nanny.

Maybe this is just a figment of my warped mind! Someone reassure me!

I think you have it to a tee.

I wonder which one will be next. My money is on plumbing not being
too far behind in the Politburo agenda.

I was recently looking at the Institute of Plumbing web site, since
this would presumably become the closed shop for "qualified plumbers"
able to self certify work for part Q of the Building Regulations.

Regarding qualifications for membership they have a FAQ:

***
I'm a working plumber - will my work be inspected?

If you don’t have formal qualifications, we can accept practical
experience instead, together with suitable references from others in
the profession. In some cases we may ask one of our Professional
Standards Inspectors to assess your work.
***

What kind of a scam is that?

It's good to read that they hold the DIYer in high esteem, though:

****

Putting up a couple of shelves is one thing, but trying a bit of DIY
on your plumbing system can not only be dangerous and expensive, but
could also drop you in hot water with the law! Many people are happy
to do minor jobs like changing a tap washer but for anything else you
are best to leave it in the hands of the professionals. If you do not
know 100% what you are doing, DIY interference with plumbing systems
can result in serious damage, expensive repair bills and potential
health hazards.

The DIY householder is subject to the same regulations and controls as
the professional plumber and everything connected to water supply has
to comply with statutory requirements. Minimum standards for sanitary
plumbing and drainage installations are laid down by law in the
interest of public health and safety. Contravention can lead to
prosecution and the possible imposition of substantial fines.

Don't take the risk of endangering your property, your own or your
families health or risk breaking the law. For your plumbing problems
always call the expert services of your local Registered Plumber.

***

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl