Pop

"Amamba" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hi,

I have an Ariens 1540H lawnmower tractor which ran
fine for two months.
Today, I let it run out of gas. When I re-fueled it
(within 20 min) it
won't start. It starts when I use starting spray (one
of these things
they sell in Home Depot, that you spray into air
filter to force engine
that won't start). But it dies once the starting
spray vapors run out.

Have you checked the fuel filter to be sure it's not
plugged or full of water?

Depending on tank design, it's possible you sucked
water into the engine. Or worse, dirt, which is
clogging the carb's jets.

If it has a fuel pump (not all do) disconnect the
output side and crank the engine; see if gas comes out.
IS it gas, and not water?

Water sinks to the bottom in gas; so if the tank has a
slight riser inside where the gas exits, that would
seem to say water was a good possibility. If it's a
flush connection, it's not likely water. But ... could
the gas you put in have had water in it? You'll
probably need direct sunlight to see inside the tank
enough to see if there's dirt and debris in there.

An air gap's possible I guess; I've never had that
happen to me as a problem.

HTH
Pop