Todd H.

"Chucky D" writes:
hello
I am investigating a possible slight leak in the roof , how do I get in the
attic to investigate I can get a ladder and climb up but there is no
flooring and just insulation. Do I put boards on so I can stand while
looking , otherwise I will fall through the ceiling below.
any suggestions?

It's scary the first time if you've never worked an attic before, but
before long you'll be fine.

First, you don't need boards, although if you're up there for an
extended amount of time in a given location installing a celing fan
box or something, they might be helpful.

If you have a well insulated home, take a wood handled broom with ya
to sweep the insulation away, and also to put it back when yer done.

I also find Rubber knee protectors quite handy, and essential if there
isn't enough room to stand (watch out for roofing nails protruding
from the roof decking!).

Just stay on the rafters, and travel in a direction perpendicular to
the rafters. Hands and knees... the rafter spacing you might find is
conveniently such that your knee can be on one rafter, and the top of
your foot will be alongside the one behind it, and your hands in front
of ya, and you can crawl quite comfortably without freaking out.
Standing, just keep your feet on separate rafters and keep a hand on
something and you'll feel quite secure, and get the hang of it
assuming you have no medical problems with balance. If you're on your
hands and knees, it becomes pretty darned hard to fall through a
ceiling unless you're under 16" tall.

By all means be careful, but it's really not that bad. You just have
to get yer "attic legs" and stop thinking so much about there not
being any weight bearing surface between the rafters.

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/