ameijers

"Bob_M" wrote in message
Gents;

My neighbor has an old 40 foot aluminum extension ladder that he has
stored for a number of years in his garage. He has offered to sell it
to me if I want it. My question is this: Assuming I have to replace
the ropes, what would a fair price be for a used ladder of this size?

Fair price, 50-75, if it has all the bits and pieces. Take a look at it in
bright daylight, and look for any bending or damage, popped rivets, fatigue
cracks, and so forth. If any visible damage other than rotted rope, pass.
New ones are only a couple hundred at the big-box. If you have any close
power lines to your house, fiberglass is a better bet. If your power drop is
roof versus buried, be very careful around it with an aluminum ladder. Test
drive the ladder- you can raise it even without the rope. Do the sections
slide smoothly, or bind? Lean up against house in a safe spot, and climb
roof high. Do you feel safe on it, or is it all bouncy? What is the rated
weight for the ladder? - for a larger fellow like me, many cheaper ladders
are at rated weight even if I am not carrying anything.

(Shopping for a 16-20 foot myself, to go with this house I just bought.
Spent many hours on ladders as a much lighter kid, but the one I owned
vanished 3-4 moves ago along with the rest of my kid summer job tools...)

aem sends....