Norminn

dadiOH wrote:

"murmur" wrote in message

Hi,

I've purchased a house in which the previous owners have recently used
acrylic paint over oil paint. I say this because the acrylic paint can
be scraped off very easily (with a fingernail), and it appears to be

oil

paint underneath.

I would like to repaint with a latex. Do I need to scrape off all the
acrylic, or can I use a primer over everything, then proceed with the
new paint job? (If so, which primer?). Any other advise would be
appreciated.

"Acrylic" paint *is* latex.

The reason I hate latex on trim and doors! I had the experience of
painting a neighbor's condo before we faced the situation in our own.
His old paint job was a nasty one, latex slopped on over food splatters
and fingerprints on old, hard enamel. I had no choice but to scrape,
pick and peel the latex because it could not be sanded. It came off in
large sheets from the doors.

When we did our own condo, thankfully only a vacation home for many
years so it had only one coat of paint in addition to the original, the
contractor said that if the latex was intact he would prime over it and
then paint. Hubby didn't want me peeling old paint for weeks and weeks,
so that is what we opted to do. We are old retired fuddy duddies, so
nobody is crashing into the woodwork and knocking the paint loose - the
latex wasn't chipped or dinged, so the primer and paint went on nice and
smoothe.

It is fine to use latex over oil if prepped and primed properly. I am a
fanatic about prepping, because I don't like to paint often.