Ranieri

"3rd eye" wrote in message
On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 10:25:42 -0500, "Ranieri" uh-uh wrote:

"murmur" wrote in message
. ..

dadiOH wrote:

"murmur" wrote in message

Hi,

I've purchased a house in which the previous owners have recently

used
acrylic paint over oil paint. I say this because the acrylic paint

can
be scraped off very easily (with a fingernail), and it appears to be

oil

paint underneath.

I would like to repaint with a latex. Do I need to scrape off all the
acrylic, or can I use a primer over everything, then proceed with the
new paint job? (If so, which primer?). Any other advise would be
appreciated.

"Acrylic" paint *is* latex.

--
dadiOH

Yes, I'm aware of that. The question still stands: do I need to scrape
it all off, or is there a sealer which I can use over the
acrylic-over-oil combination which is currently there? I assume if I
just paint over the acrylic, it will not bond very well, as the acrylic
itself is not bonding well to the oil.

There's nothing inherently wrong with painting acrylic/latex over a sound
oil-based finish. The problem is that some oil finishes are prone to
chalking and if the chalking wasn't cleaned off before it was painted,

you
don't get a good bond and you get that intercoat flaking that you're

seeing.
Solution would be to remove everything that's loose (scrape, sand, etc.),
scrub the surface, allow to dry, prime as needed and paint.

Chalking occurs outside.
I've never seen it indoors.

Me neither. I wonder if he's talking interior or exterior.