John Willis

On Sun, 31 Jul 2005 04:54:49 GMT, murmur
scribbled this interesting note:

Hi,

I've purchased a house in which the previous owners have recently used
acrylic paint over oil paint. I say this because the acrylic paint can
be scraped off very easily (with a fingernail), and it appears to be oil
paint underneath.

I would like to repaint with a latex. Do I need to scrape off all the
acrylic, or can I use a primer over everything, then proceed with the
new paint job? (If so, which primer?). Any other advise would be
appreciated.

Thank you.

The reason the existing paint is not bonded to the previous oil based
paint is improper prep work. Properly prepared, the combination you
describe will last a good, long while.

So far as I know, the only solution you will find is to remove the
flaking paint and properly prep the work to be painted.

I have to ask, what's wrong with an oil based paint on the wood work
in the home? Why not go back with a good, high quality oil based
paint?

--
John Willis

(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)