Calvin Henry-Cotnam

RichK ) said...

"Ellen Ridenbaucher" wrote in message

[snip]

The young chap who serviced the system, presented me with an invoice for
$793.00. He said I was 20lbs. low on refrigerant.

Hope you did not pay the guy yet. If it needed that much it would not be
working at all.

I assume that this charge included the cost to fix the leak problem AND
gives you some sort of warranty for the next couple of years against any
leaks?!?

Your home air conditioner is not like the one in your car, and ideally
should NEVER need a top up of refrigerant unless there is some unusual
situation, like you damaged a refrigerant line while moving something, or
the original installation was shoddy.

Consumers are used to a garage having to top up your air conditioning,
so some home HVAC contractors take advantage of this and use the same
excuse. Unless you are rattling your home AC the way the one in your
car gets rattled as you drive around, it just isn't going to be low on
refrigerant.

--
Calvin Henry-Cotnam
- Napoleon