meirman

In alt.home.repair on Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:59:31 GMT "Doug Kanter"
posted:

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message

1. People are price-conscious...see the "99 cent" pricing syndrome.

My mother told me she would hear an advertisement or see a product at
$7.99. To make it simple, she would think $8. Then later she
wouldn't remember if it were 7.99 or 8.99, and would often remember
the price a dollar higher than it was. The opposite effect of what
they wanted.

2. People have been conditioned to expect certain things to be in
certain size packages--coffee in 1-lb tins, for example. People tend to

There was a big outrage when they started messing with the size of
coffee packages. That was about 30? years ago?

not actively scan similar-sized containers for the actual label, so it...

Well, I think the solution is for enough people to bitch directly to
Sherwin-Williams, claiming that the precise one gallon size is important
because it allows people to determine surface coverage in a predictable way.
Of course, this isn't quite true, because humidity and a few other random
things can affect whether seven nineteenths of an ounce makes a difference,

It wasn't 7/19ths of an ounce. It was 5/32nds of a quart which is
about 8 times as much. It's almost 4% of the entire gallon. Other
than that, I agree with you.

Another difference about paint is that that is one product whose
package size hasn't varied for my whole life and probably much longer.

People are used to it with candy.

Also, when one runs out of candy no one says, Look, there's a corner
of your stomach that isn't covered in candy.

but if enough people yell about it, that won't matter.

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether
or not you are posting the same letter.