pat smith

Why not subfeed the Heat/AC blower with a circuit, " HumidistateRelayFan
SwitchMotor". Set Humidistate to close circuit at about 55%fan runs52%
circuit opensfan stops....

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am running my dehuminifer at 45% humidity level in my basement, and I
am also in Northern New Jersey.

I have two things that I need to mention about the use of a
dehuminifer:

1. Seem like its air moving capability is not that great even at high
fan speed. I have a feeling that it is only dehuminifing the adjacent
area. This "may" be a problem if the basement is partitioned in
multiple rooms or closets. Honestly, I am not sure about this. After
using it for two years, I don't have any mildew problem in my basement
(I had mildew problem in my basement before I started using the
dehuminifer). I guess it is doing something good in my basement despite
my concern about its coverage and despite the fact that my basement is
partitioned into two large rooms (with opening between rooms) and with
two closets.

2. Running dehuminifer can generate enough heat that we can feel
uncomfortably warm in the summer even with reduced humidity level. This
is especially bad if we have an exercise room in the basement. You
"may" need to add air-conditioning in addition to using the
dehuminifer. Still, using the dehuminifer should be the first choice
over the use of air conditoning to reduce humidity level because I am
under the impression that the air conditioner will stop as soon as the
room temperatur has dropped down to the pre-set level regardless if the
humidity level is reduced enough or not (and basement tends to be
cooler than the rest of the house to begin with; hence the air
conditioner will only run for a short while and probably will not
dehuminify enough).

Jay Chan

jay wrote:
Do you have windows in the basement? Opening the windows will allow air
to circulate and remove some of the dampness and humidity.

Yes, there are windows, but opening them is not very convenient, and
leaving
them open could worsen the problem if it is a humid day.

By the way, simply by keeping the blower motor of the heating/ac system
running continuously, the circulation of the air throughout the house, so
far, seems to be keeping the basement's relative humidity within the mid
upper 50s (as opposed to sometimes creeping up into the mid 60s if the
blower motor is turned off). The humidity in the rest of the house is
still
well below 50%.

Is a basement relative humidity level in the upper 50s too high if the
goal
is to prevent potential mold/mildew in my finished basement?

Thanks,

J.