SQLit

"Jim Beaver" wrote in message
I've got a newly-built house (well, actually, it's 2/3 new, 1/3 existing)
with new wiring from the panel in. It's got a 200 amp rating at the

panel.
But whenever the air conditioning comes on, the lights dim and power dips
much more than I've ever seen in another house, even ones with lower amps
and older wiring. Sometimes it's enough to shut down my computer or TV.

The wire coming in from the pole is what was here when only the existing
house was here. How likely is it that a problem like this is on the

city's
side of the breaker panel?

Jim Beaver

Hard to point you in a direction.
Can you measure the voltage at the panel? What is it? What is it when the
a/c starts?
I would do this before you call the utility. They will be not surprisingly
SLOW to respond to something vague like this.

Other poster have suggested that checking the connections in the panel would
be a good idea. I concur.

Was the panel changed/moved for the remodel? Was any work done near the
grounding of the panel? Water/gas bond still connected? Is the ground still
connected?

If your the only load on the transformer then MAYBE it is unique to your
home. Odds are it is on your side.