meirman

In alt.home.repair on 29 Jul 2005 18:59:26 -0700 "Harry K"
posted:

Sherman wrote:
On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 05:21:11 -0400, meirman
wrote:

In alt.home.repair on 24 Jul 2005 07:49:29 -0700 "Harry K"
posted:

wrote:
Greetings,

If it has really sunk 6" you might consider pouring another 4-6" of
concrete on top of the existing sidewalk. This way you get a brand-new
looking sidewalk a foot thick.

Hope this helps,
William

P&M

Very good idea. Probably a lot cheaper than any other fix. It doesn't
address the sinking problem but then I suspect that most of the
'sinking' is due to the ground building up over the years. Unlikely
that such a large section of 'crete' would sink evenly without serious
cracking and uneveness.

FWIW, my stoop/aerie way has sunk 6 inches in 26 years without
cracking. It's about 20 feet by 2 feet where it is a stoop, by 8 or 9
feet where it is a "patio".

Either that or the house has gone up 6 inches.

Harry K

Actually the lowest 16 houses in my n'hood, and about the 20 lowest
houses in the next n'hood, probably built by a different builder, all
in a row close to the stream fwiw, have all had sinking stoops. Some
have cracked. I can't even guess at what percentage.

Still, I agree that his idea is a good one.

Meirman

My peach tree had sunk over 12 inches. It caught so much water it
finally drowned.
The drive way and house remains level and only the sidewalk sank with
nary a crack. The expansion joints on the house and driveway acted
like hinges and let it sink without cracking.

Expansion joints? where they joined the sidewalk, right?

Ah! I was picturing a level sinking. With that much sinkage, I would
suspect a sinkhole forming. I have never seen nor heard of a tree
sinking until now.

Me neither.

Harry K

Meirman