SN

Ellen Ridenbaucher wrote:
G'day everyone,

I recently had my air conditioner serviced. It had been working fine, the
company just got around to me for my annual service. This is a residential
home, approx. 2,300 sq. ft.

The young chap who serviced the system, presented me with an invoice for
$793.00. He said I was 20lbs. low on refrigerant.

I attempted to look through some newsgroups related to heating and cooling
in hopes to find an answer on how much refrigerant an air conditioner holds.
This seems to be the best NG, with the least flames.

Hope someone may be able to give me a ballpark figure on the refrigerant.

The data plate on the outside condensing unit will tell you what type of
refrigerant is used (probably R-22 or R-410A) and how much the system
holds in pounds & ounces. A very rough rule-of-thumb is 1-1/2 to 2-1/2
pounds per ton of air conditioning (plus a little extra for long line
set and/or add-on filter/drier). Take a look at the data plate.