Matt Whiting

James Nipper wrote:

I have a garage door opener from Craftsman, I don't know the model. It is
about 10 years old. It will open from the manual switch, but not from the
remotes. I know how to re-program them, but that has not helped. This has
been a problem for a while, it seems off and on as to whether the remotes
will work. I assume the receiver in the opener to be defective, and I doubt
it is replaceable. The mechanical part of the opener seems fine.

What is your recommendation on a new opener ?? Another Craftsman? What
about Genie ? The one I have is a chain driven type, and I wonder if the
belt driven types are better??

I had a Craftsman chain drive in my last garage. It worked fine. I
forget now who makes them for Craftsman, but it may be Chamberlain.

I now have a screw drive from LiftMaster and it works fine as well. I
think it is a little quieter, but I can't say if it is really any better
than the chain drive. I've never owned a belt drive so I have no comment.

Matt