Doug Kanter

"Duane Bozarth" wrote in message
Doug Kanter wrote:
Back to the paint: If you were responsible for cost control at
Sherwin-Williams, and because of some REAL factor (raw materials, labor,
etc), you absolutely had to maintain a certain profit margin, how would
you
handle it?

Unequivocally, I would either find a way to cut production costs or
reluctantly raise prices. I would not under any circumstances choose
of my own volition the "under-size the container" solution.

And, btw, I think the undersized ply is an abomination too (and always
will no matter how long they label it 23/32".

Some production costs are beyond your control. For instance, is latex paint
in ANY way dependent on the cost of petroleum? And, what about
transportation? Two years ago, I could ship groceries by truck for $1.50 a
mile. Now, it's between $1.90 and $2.25, depending on location. Pretty hefty
price hike. Would you be OK with paying $25 for a gallon of paint instead of
$19?