Cubby

Hiya,
I'm not removing the drywall. And if I did, it would only be a couple
of inches at most which means I wouldn't be high enough to reach the
studs. So no fishing through studs here. I could remove some of the
drywall, say a couple of inches, and mount the wires directly to the
sill plates (bottom of wall). I'd still need a 1/16" plate of some
sort for protection. I'm just wondering if this is legal to mount so
close to the floor. I can't see why it wouldn't be but not sure.
This is for a bedroom, not a wet location.
Cheers,
cc