George E. Cawthon

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 21:24:06 -0400, Rich Heimlich
wrote:

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 17:58:04 -0000,
(Chris
Lewis) wrote:

If you can describe them (ie: "ordinary fractional HP induction motor
driving squirrel cage"), and what the symptoms are (seized? grinding?
hums?) we can make some suggestions.

They're pretty basic fans I picked up from Home Depot. Floor stands.
Hampton Bay. They show a model on Home Depot now that looks like a
better version of what I got. That one is $149. I think I paid $99 2
years ago. Mine are white with 3 speed settings and came with remotes
which I don't use.

Remotes for a fan? That's just plain stupid.....
Like others said, oil the bearings.
Turn the blade by hand (unplug cord first), If it feels tight, oil
oil oil,,,,,, until it is easy to tuen by hand. Plug it in and enjoy
the cool. Fans should be oiled at least once a year.

I totally agree about the remotes. But I'll bet
the problem is in the controls, not in the actual
fan motor. Maybe somebody punched something on
the remote, maybe the remote receiver failed and
just shut the fan off, or maybe the switch for the
speeds failed.
The only way you are going to tell is to wire
directly to the fan motor and bypass the controls
entirely. If nothing is found then move to the
motor and see if it turns freely. If it does,
dump the fan as too expensive to fix.