Duane Bozarth

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 07:48:04 -0400,

All my life I have wondered this.
Why is silver paint called aluminum paint?
It can be painted on steel, wood, plastic, brass, and darn near
anything else (including aluminum), so why that name?

Because the color comes from aluminum which is a hell of a lot cheaper
than real silver. Note that some cars do come in silver.

Lou

Does that mean the paint contains aluminum particles? If it does, how
come it can be used on steel without causing a corrosion problem?

A. Yes (or at least did--I've not used any in a long time so I suppose
it's possible they're using something else now owing to higher Al costs)

B. Because it is already oxidized and contained in the carrier that
makes it "paint" so it's not directly in contact--and that there's not a
real high problem anyway...