Edwin Pawlowski

"Sean" wrote in message
Hi all,

I have some shingles (not sure what type) on the house I just bought. The
shingles are about 13 years old. Some of them are starting to curl up a
bit. I'm wondering, how to you know exactly when you should be replacing
the shingles?

Thanks for any info!

Shingles should be replaced 1 week before the roof would start to leak.

Curling edges is a sign that it is starting to wear. Brittleness is another
factor. If you can get on the room and try to bend one of those corners you
will be able to tell.

Depending on the grade, climate, attic ventilation, 13 years is not all that
old. Most builders grade shingles will last 15 to 20 years. I replaced
mine and 23 years and had lo leaks. YMMV quite a bit, of course.

One more thing to keep in mind. it is usually permissible to have two
layers of shingles on a roof. If the edges are curling though, you want
them removed before putting on the new roof or you will have problems.