L. M. Rappaport

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 08:08:50 -0500, "Sean" wrote
(with possible editing):

Hi all,

I have some shingles (not sure what type) on the house I just bought. The
shingles are about 13 years old. Some of them are starting to curl up a bit.
I'm wondering, how to you know exactly when you should be replacing the
shingles?

Thanks for any info!

What Doug said, plus this: when shingles curl prematurely it is
usually a sign of poor ventilation under the sheathing. There needs
to be airflow from the soffits to the peak of the roof between the
sheathing and the insulation. If this doesn't occur, then you will
constantly be replacing shingles. Fixing the problem can range from
very easy to extremely difficult and expensive depending upon the type
of construction.

If you can't fix the ventilation problem, probably the next best thing
is to use very light colored roofing - preferably white as it won't
absorb as much of the sun's rays raising the temperature of the
shingles.

FWIW,
--

Larry