meirman

In alt.home.repair on Wed, 27 Jul 2005 22:29:38 -0400 "miamicuse"
posted:

I am exploring cutting a 36"x36" hole through the 8" concrete slab in my
kitchen to access a sewer line for repair.

Called a few concrete contractors and one told me he will use a jackhammer
to punch the hole (cost $300) and the other told me he will use a saw (cost
$500). The jackhammer will probably spray dust in all directions and shake
loose some copper pipes in walls. The saw will make a clean cut according
to the contractor but he told me "imagine starting a motor cycle immersed in
a mud puddle"...this does not sound promising. Is there a way to do this to
minimize dust and mess? I am willing to pay a bit more for a cleaner
procedure.

Not saying this is good but it's better than nothin'. When I sanded
my parquet floors, I put an old 21? inch fan in the window, and left
it running all the time, including after I stopped. The goal was to
get the air out before the dust settled. About an hour after I
finished, the fan "sputtered" to a stop, never to work again. Worked
out perfectly.

(Another time I was trying to fix a 4HP outboard motor, in the
bathtub. Put a 21? inch fan in the window and a big fan in the
doorway, both blowing in the same direction of course. It still only
took 20 seconds for the room to fill with smoke, but that was better
than the 10 seconds I got otherwise.)

Meirman
--
If emailing, please let me know whether