Jim Yanik

"Doug Kanter" wrote in
:

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .

Most urban dwellers do not have such garden plots.
And NONE of the posters here mentioned any gardens being damaged.
You're reaching again.AND trying to use an exemption as the general
rule.

Doesn't matter what anyone else mentioned. You're challenging my
beliefs about dogs, and I'm explaining them by using examples which
are NOT exceptions, at least not based on my experience.

Sure they are exceptions;the majority of the US population lives in URBAN
areas,and few of them have food-producing gardens.

In order to
determine who owned 3 stray dogs many years ago, I followed those dogs
through the neighborhood and watched as they dug their way through
various properties. That's what dogs do sometimes.

SOMETIMES.
Another exception put forth as common occurrence.

As far as "devastated", in my previous home, a couple of dogs were
doing exactly that: Digging in the easiest soil they could find,
which happened to be my garden. A one week old lettuce seedling does
not respond well to being ****ed on and then dug out of the soil.
The solution involved a conference with the town justice, a series
of warnings (one of which was rather horrific), and the sudden
"retraining" of the animal control person. It worked nicely.

I'm glad you haven't had to deal with something like this. It was
NOT enjoyable.

You keep on bringing up -exceptions- that are not common in
urbania,and not
mentioned in any of the posts on this newsgroup,and then believe
that's justification for cruelty to animals in other circumstances.

Let's dissect this. You used the word "cruelty". Although I have no
problem with someone slowly killing a dog (the sponge trick, for
instance), it's not something I'd do myself.

But it IS cruelty to animals,both legally and morally.

And,you recommend illegal things you would not do yourself.
There's that bad Usenet advice I mentioned.

That's not because I give
a damn about the dog. Rather, I'd want to be sure it was dead. If I
lived in a place where it was safe to do so, I'd opt for a bullet. It
would satisfy my desire to be thorough.

and in most urban areas,discharging a firearm for that purpose is illegal.
More of your bad Usenet advice.

As far as "exceptions", you can only make that statement if you
realize it's limited by your awareness of what dog catchers deal with
all day. Do you work for your local government, and have access to
those statistics? Or, do you go from door to door asking people about
their experiences with dogs?

As I said;Sure they are exceptions;the majority of the US population lives
in URBAN areas,and few of them have food-producing gardens.

They need to find a dead animal first. The key word is "find".
Otherwise, all they have is a missing pet report.

Ah,so you advocate an illegal act,then compound it by hiding
evidence,a second illegal act.
You must be a wonderful law-abiding citizen.(not)

If an animal was destroying your handiwork and you could get little
or no help from the authorities, I'm sure you'd handle it any way
you saw fit. Or, if you had to shell out cash to have your carpets
cleaned because of some asshole's pet, again, I'm sure you'd be over
the top.

It's happened to me,tracked the crap right thru the living room and
into the kitchen,and I had to clean it myself.It's NOT any major
carpet cleaning
deal.And I did go "over the top",and let the manager know about it.
The woman moved out shortly after that.(sad,she was VERY hot!)

My one experience with carpet involved professional cleaning. Some
people have more sensitive noses than others,

Or are just too finicky or lazy to clean it themselves.

just as some people can
hear higher frequencies. I was not able to identify the dog criminal
responsible for the gift on my lawn, or we would've met in small
claims court.

No,people who clean up after their dogs on their own are NOT the sort
that walk their dogs and leave crap where it's improper.

Dogs are attracted to the scent where other dogs have created a
bathroom. It doesn't matter if it's cleaned up. Nobody carries a
bucket of water with them when walking their dog. So, the spot is
attractive to stray dogs later, and the situation gets out of hand.
This is why I tell dog owners to go elsewhere, even if they intend to
clean it up.

It's not that they use your yard and then clean it up,it's that they tend
to NOT USE such places in the first place(the 1st category,not the other
2). They curb their dogs in the proper places-not on others property.

Thus the problem is with the dog's walker and not the dog itself.
So no "justification" for being cruel to the animal.

Actually, this isn't quite true. Behavioral psychology suggests that
in a way, the owners are trained by the dogs. Why do they walk their
dogs? Not just for the exercise.

No,it takes the dog -outdoors- to do their toilet,much preferable to the
alternative.Dogs don't take to litterboxes like cats.

The dogs become accustomed to
crapping only if they're walked. Sometimes they crap in the house if
they're not walked.

Well,indoors WOULD be the only place they could crap,if not
walked(outdoors).DUH...
Now,walking off one's own property means either exercise or an intent to
deposit the dog's wastes on someone else's property.Also that they do not
have a fenced in yard to allow the dog to relieve itself without being in a
person's control.

So, the human walks the dog, which leads to the
antisocial behavior and disrespect for property rights.

No,some humans allow the dog to select the place for their deposits,instead
of being in command and control themselves.No "psychology" about it,just
laziness and no consideration for others.

Therefore, the
dog is at least equally responsible.

Only in your mind.

We think we've domesticated them,
but this is based on religious nonsense which says that a higher power
made us as his crowning achievment. Bull****.

I don't believe in that religious nonsense either.

On a vaguely related subject, there is a body of evidence suggesting
that the domestication of plants is not a one-way street either. If
you find this interesting, you might pick up a book called "The Botany
of Desire". It's a fascinating exploration of who's zoomin' who.

There was something along that line on a recent PBS program;Guns,Germs and
Steel.(how primitive people domesticated food crops that gave the highest
outputs,thus increasing their outputs thru selection)

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik