steve

Default Fitting cheap carpet

geoff wrote in message ...
In message , Soup
writes
Soup popped his head over the parapet,saw what was going on and said

Hi how do people normally fit carpet?

Tried fitting carpet a couple of times when the carpet was really cheap
and personally I think it doesn't look nice, with the cost of carpet and
having to look at it for years seems miserly not to use professional
carpet fitters. If you feel you must lay the carpet yourself ;edge the
room in gripperrod (a useful tip is to lay the GR the width of a edge of
a piece of GR from the wall) then insert (should require a thump
(use a brick bolster hit with a hammer))carpet into the gap , do two
adjacent sides stretch (using one of the knee kick stretcher things, don't
know its proper name)the carpet to one of the remaining sides trim
and "bash" the carpet into the gap. Then do the remaining side.
(one instance where I don't D.I.Y.)

Alternatively (and a better option IMHO) is to pay £30 ~£40 to the
carpet supplier and get them to fit the carpet ( remember the people they
"hire" do carpet laying for a living and they will be insured).

I more or less second that

Seldom do I let a tradesman into my house (as I always DIM) but I had an
insurance claim and the fitter came free
He did a much better job than I would have done (especially the hall /
stairs)

I know several people who think they have done a good job, until a
couple of months later the creases appear because they didn't stretch it
properly. I have laid carpets in "Square" rooms, but gaining experience
on an expensive bit of carpet can be expensive.

Method i use on small rooms (box bedrooms toilets bathrooms etc)get
the pros in to do larger rooms, is after laying carpet down and
stapling it down, to then take a bolster or good heavy wide scrapper
and press the carpet into the angle of floor/skirting then keeping
bolster in place use stanley knife to cut sliding it along the bolster
between it and the piece of carpet sticking up the wall in the same
way as in wallpapering using a caulking tool and knife Then run the
bolster down the carpet skirting join to neaten it all up

Why when borrowing a knee kicker from a carpet fitter do they always
say dont remove the fluff from the teeth? is it some mark of rank more
fluff =been in the job longer or is there a real reason?

Steve