Heathcliff

Rich Heimlich wrote:
On 26 Jul 2005 12:40:27 -0700, wrote:

You don't say what type of fans they are or what the failure mode is.
If it's, for example, bad bearings or burnt-out windings, then most
medium-size or larger towns have shops that will repair/rebuild as
appropriate.

They just stopped turning on. I push a "digital" power button and it
beeps, as usual, but the fan doesn't move. It doesn't make any sound
either. No hum. Nothing.

It might be the switch is bad. If you are comfortable working with
wiring -- and that is a significant if -- you could try bypassing the
switch and see if the fan then works. I would bypass it temporarily
(so that the fan should start as soon as its plugged in), plug it in
and see if it starts. If it does then you would need to decide whether
to replace the switch with something similar, or with some other kind
of switch. You could wire in a simple line switch if you are willing
to forego the multiple-speed aspect. As others have said, consequences
can include electrocution, fire, etc. so be careful and ask yourself
whether you are confident about doing it. -- H