Ulysses

"Pop" wrote in message
Took a quick look at the site; I think I'd want to see
that stuff before I bought it, but that's not what you
asked.

I imagine the referene to using a box cutter is
possibly a score & snap operation, similar to what
you'd do with plexiglass. Since it's corrugated, you
cut the one surface, bend it back and it either snaps
off or breaks & lets you cut the back part.

Contact them and find out.

Pop

wrote in message
oups.com...
I am interested in a new product for covering windows
when hurricanes
are coming. It is 3/8 in. thick plastic - not solid
...it looks like
corrugated cardboard but it's plastic. You can see it
at
www.storm-stoppers. Anyway, they say cut it with
boxcutters. One of
my neighbors got a sample and we tried cutting it.
It was very, very
difficult . Other than that, it is much lighter
weight than plywood
and I would really like to be able to use it but
don't want to spend a
lot of money on it without being pretty sure I can
cut it. We are all
over-the-hill and not too strong...does anyone know
of anything, a
particular kind of saw blade, that could be used on
plastic instead of
utility knife or boxcutters. Thanks.

Score and snap would probably work, but it may require a plastic cutting
blade instead of a regular razor blade. A plastic cutter is sharpened on
the trailing side and not the contact side. The idea is to score in exactly
the same place 3 or 4 times (depending on how hard and thick the material
is) along a straightedge and snap (if cutting short pieces) or "run" the
break along the cut (if longer pieces are desired). Here's one

http://www.dickblick.com/zz574/77/

but if you shop around you can probably find one for less. This type of
cutter may not work if the plastic is too soft or pliable but you said it
was really hard to cut so I suspect it will work.

I you use a jigsaw it might work fine on some plastics but on more brittle
materials it may craze and crack where you don't want it to. A table saw
with a veneer blade (fine tooth smooth cut) generally works great on
plastics.