udarrell

on a side note... can some one really quick give me some figures..

my house has 2 AC units a 4 ton and a 2 Ton... How much power do they
draw. when they run?
the 4 ton is for the 1 st floor 2/3 of the house, and the 2 ton is for
the second floor 1/3rd of the house.. The reason I am asking is that, I
found a photograph of the previous owners. who had put a window A/c in
the master bedroom.. So that got me thinking.. is it economical to put
it in the master bedroom and run it all night, while the 4 TON A/C is
off, as it is unecessarily cooling the entire 1st floor ( ie, kitchen..
, dining,,.etc)

I do have a 5000 btu window , ac., which , if I am not mistaken,
consumes. 550W.

assuming it runs for full 8 hours.. that is 4.4 kwh units..
Now my 4 TON runs atleast 4 hours. each night.. how much does that
translate into. ? But it does keep the kitchen.. living.. dining.. all
cool. . when I wake up in the morning

The 5000-Btu/hr window jammer should cool the bedroom during sleeping
hours with no problem.
It will probably (?) only run half to one third of the nighttime hours,
or less.

Does the 4-ton cool the Master bedroom, or does the 2-ton cool it?
Does the 2-ton handle the upstairs heatload okay?

A 4-ton 12-SEER ComfortMaker pulls around 4761-watts, plus the indoor
furnace blower will pull at least 575-additional-watts.
The 2-ton 12-SEER pulls around 2659-watts plus 575-watts for cooling
coil blower motor.

I am betting the first floor 4-ton is considerably oversized.
How well it is cooling doesn't mean a thing, as many oversized units are
not delivering anywhere near their rated capacity.
How big is your home?
Eight foot ceilings?
Have a manual J done so you know what your home calls for!

When both your central units are running they "could be pulling around"
8570-watts.
That is a lot of juice! How much on average do those central units run?

For your own benefit, read both of the linked pages below. - udarrell
http://www.udarrell.com/aircondition...harting.h tml

--
Factors in the Correct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning Systems -
Recommended Procedures for Proper Duct Sizing of Residential Air Conditioning Systems