Doug Kanter

"Jim Yanik" . wrote in message
.. .

Most urban dwellers do not have such garden plots.
And NONE of the posters here mentioned any gardens being damaged.
You're reaching again.AND trying to use an exemption as the general rule.

Doesn't matter what anyone else mentioned. You're challenging my beliefs
about dogs, and I'm explaining them by using examples which are NOT
exceptions, at least not based on my experience. In order to determine who
owned 3 stray dogs many years ago, I followed those dogs through the
neighborhood and watched as they dug their way through various properties.
That's what dogs do sometimes.

As far as "devastated", in my previous home, a couple of dogs were
doing exactly that: Digging in the easiest soil they could find, which
happened to be my garden. A one week old lettuce seedling does not
respond well to being ****ed on and then dug out of the soil. The
solution involved a conference with the town justice, a series of
warnings (one of which was rather horrific), and the sudden
"retraining" of the animal control person. It worked nicely.

I'm glad you haven't had to deal with something like this. It was NOT
enjoyable.

You keep on bringing up -exceptions- that are not common in urbania,and
not
mentioned in any of the posts on this newsgroup,and then believe that's
justification for cruelty to animals in other circumstances.

Let's dissect this. You used the word "cruelty". Although I have no problem
with someone slowly killing a dog (the sponge trick, for instance), it's not
something I'd do myself. That's not because I give a damn about the dog.
Rather, I'd want to be sure it was dead. If I lived in a place where it was
safe to do so, I'd opt for a bullet. It would satisfy my desire to be
thorough.

As far as "exceptions", you can only make that statement if you realize it's
limited by your awareness of what dog catchers deal with all day. Do you
work for your local government, and have access to those statistics? Or, do
you go from door to door asking people about their experiences with dogs?

They need to find a dead animal first. The key word is "find".
Otherwise, all they have is a missing pet report.

Ah,so you advocate an illegal act,then compound it by hiding
evidence,a second illegal act.
You must be a wonderful law-abiding citizen.(not)

If an animal was destroying your handiwork and you could get little or
no help from the authorities, I'm sure you'd handle it any way you saw
fit. Or, if you had to shell out cash to have your carpets cleaned
because of some asshole's pet, again, I'm sure you'd be over the top.

It's happened to me,tracked the crap right thru the living room and into
the kitchen,and I had to clean it myself.It's NOT any major carpet
cleaning
deal.And I did go "over the top",and let the manager know about it.
The woman moved out shortly after that.(sad,she was VERY hot!)

My one experience with carpet involved professional cleaning. Some people
have more sensitive noses than others, just as some people can hear higher
frequencies. I was not able to identify the dog criminal responsible for the
gift on my lawn, or we would've met in small claims court.

No,people who clean up after their dogs on their own are NOT the sort that
walk their dogs and leave crap where it's improper.

Dogs are attracted to the scent where other dogs have created a bathroom. It
doesn't matter if it's cleaned up. Nobody carries a bucket of water with
them when walking their dog. So, the spot is attractive to stray dogs later,
and the situation gets out of hand. This is why I tell dog owners to go
elsewhere, even if they intend to clean it up.

Thus the problem is with the dog's walker and not the dog itself.
So no "justification" for being cruel to the animal.

Actually, this isn't quite true. Behavioral psychology suggests that in a
way, the owners are trained by the dogs. Why do they walk their dogs? Not
just for the exercise. The dogs become accustomed to crapping only if
they're walked. Sometimes they crap in the house if they're not walked. So,
the human walks the dog, which leads to the antisocial behavior and
disrespect for property rights. Therefore, the dog is at least equally
responsible. We think we've domesticated them, but this is based on
religious nonsense which says that a higher power made us as his crowning
achievment. Bull****.

On a vaguely related subject, there is a body of evidence suggesting that
the domestication of plants is not a one-way street either. If you find this
interesting, you might pick up a book called "The Botany of Desire". It's a
fascinating exploration of who's zoomin' who.