D Steck

No, it's not safe to have your hand directly over the bit. I have a Hitachi
3HP router and if you go with 1/4" bits (which I quit using), the collet
doesn't hold the 1/4" bit very well. Had a bit loosen a while back and
climb out through the top of my wood. I always use push blocks and felt it
hit the bottom of the block. Glad it wasn't my hand!

"toller" wrote in message

"RonB" wrote in message
If you are doing a 3/8" deep plunge with a small bit, on one pass, you
might risk breakage. Hope you wear face protection.

In a router table. Not much can happen.
I always wonder on a cut like that if it safe to have my hand directly
over the bit. Unless the wood simply disintegrated it should be safe; but
I don't do it anyhow.