Martin H. Eastburn

Ken has it right.
I turn wood, plasma cut metal and turn and mill metals.
In my Metals Handbook - phone book size and about a USD$ per page (ugh!)

1100 is "Commercially pure aluminum highly resistant to chemical attack and weathering.
Low cost ductile for deep drawing and easy to weld....... fan blades, flue lining, sheet
metal work - SPUN HOLLOWARE - and fin stock.

Good luck.

Martin

Ken Moon wrote:

"Nick" wrote in message

Hi all,

SNIP......

I would like some advice firstly regarding the metal. I find even though I
*thought* I softened the aluminium that it is quite stiff nonetheless and
am wondering if it is pure aluminium. I am hoping someone could offer some
advice on the type of metal I could use for best results, particularly the
thickness. I am wondering if I went a bit thicker whether the job would
spring back at me as I apply pressure. Also I was considering whether
something other than aluminium might be the go.. maybe copper? I dont
have alot of experience at the metal stuff. I am using a spoon shaped
tool, I whittled and sanded out of some eucalypt. I have been using a
liquid wax polish for lubricant whilst the job is underway.

Thanks in advance

Nick

=============
If you're looking for "near pure" Aluminum, try to find some 1100. We used
that for calculating penetrating power of diagnostic X-ray systems. It's
over 99% pure Al. (Seems that I remember it having trace amounts of copper.)
I think copper would be a better metal than Al, since it tends to be more
malleable, and I think that's what you want in spinning.

Ken Moon
Webberville, TX.

--
Martin Eastburn