Tom Nie

George,

Zone 3!? Do people actually live that far North??

TomNie

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Chuck" wrote in message
On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 08:27:16 -0500, Prometheus
wrote:

I'd sure like to have some hedge apple or boxelder, but I'm
too far north for those. We get the odd cherry or willow tree here
and there, but that's about as exciting as it gets.

You're definitely not too far north for box elder, aka "Manitoba
Maple." As the common name implies, box elder (acer negundo) grows
quite a bit farther north than you are, and, like other maple species,
is noted for its resistance to cold.. Other than for shade, though,
it's not a commercially valuable tree, so people don't really go out
of their way to plant them or harvest them.

http://sis.agr.gc.ca/cansis/nsdb/cli...ess/intro.html

http://www.usna.usda.gov/Hardzone/

Show Acer negundo as an indicator species for zone 2b.

This is not, however, the full story. Where competition exists, A
negundo is much less common. Here, though we're zone 3 or thereabouts, it
grows only near the lakes, where the temperature is moderated by the
water.