DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Ignoramus6455 wrote:
On Wed, 3 Aug 2005 00:07:46 +0000 (UTC), Christopher Tidy wrote:

Hi all,

Looks like a very interesting motor! It is hostorical...

I am confused. The data plate says that it is a 400V motor. Are you
intending to run it off 220V?

400V and 50 Hz (at least, so I interpret "Periods 50"). You're
in Canada, I think? Or perhaps the UK? (It depends on which way around
the IP address in the "NNTP-Posting-Host: " header reads. Do you have
50Hz power where you are?

If it is 60Hz, then I think that the motor could work at 440V 60
Hz, if designed for 400V 50Hz. In any case, a bit high voltage for your
purposes, though many three-phase machine tools have the option t be
strapped for either 220V or 440V, so you could run them at 440V and not
need as heavy a wire, as the current would be halved. However, you'll
need to boost the incoming power to 440V to run the motor as an idler
int the first place. (That is going to require a heavy transformer.)
And if the motor could be re-strapped for 220V, it would normally have
said so on the data plate.

the lubrication tubes. Also, I need to free the screws on the motor
mount which adjust the v-belt tension. These are really badly rusted. I
don't mind if I have to make new screws (they are simple threaded rods
with a little tommy bar through the end), but I don't want to damage the
motor mounts. Any ideas?

I am not convinced that you need to bother. You are going to have an
idler, there is not going to be any tension or force momentum, other
than instantaneous spinning up of the motor.

Agreed. At most, just screw it down to some 2x4s which stick
out to the sides a bit to keep it from starting to topple. And the RPM
is rather low, so you probably won't have much problem at all.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564