Dennis Turner

On 7/26/2005 8:06 AM or thereabouts, Percival P. Cassidy appears,
somewhat unbelievably, to have opined:

I understand that many facilities with a large number of lighting
fixtures (whether fluorescent or incandescent) will figure out a
schedule according to which they simply replace all the bulbs/tubes at
once rather than have to keep coming back and replace one or two here
and there. Costs less in the long run.

Perce

On 07/26/05 01:47 am Blue tossed the following ingredients into the
ever-growing pot of cybersoup:

I talked with a guy in a large department store replacing flourescent
bulbs about the 1-2 problem. He said a failing bulb also extinguished
the good bulb but his procedure was to rather than try to find the bad
bulb to simply replace them both as they are cheap and aged at the
same rate so that the "good" bulb was nearly aged out anyway.

True. Having worked in retail for over 20 years I have seen this several
times. The firm I work for used to use a service that traveled all over
the U. S. They would come around about every 3 years and change out
every fluorescent tube in the building using scissor lifts. They worked
overnight and would take a couple of days to finish a store. I remember
talking with some of the crew members. One of them told me he got a lot
of funny reactions from people when he replied to their question of
"What do you do for a living?" with "I change light bulbs."

We now use a different firm which comes around once a month and replaces
only the tubes that are out at that time.

--
As a child, my parents thought I was an idiot-savant.
Now, however, it is rather clear that I'm simply an idiot.