burbeck

Default Power shower electrical shocks

On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 09:28:39 +0100, roger
wrote:

Dave writes
I've recently refitted a Mira Event Power Shower after retiling the
shower cubicle. I've also fitted a new shower head and hose of a metal
type. The one originally supplied with the shower was plastic.
Everything seemed to be fine for a week after the shower was put back
into action but now there is a slight electrical shock when standing
in the shower and touching the shower hose, and only when the shower
pump is running.

Sounds familiar.
Check the voltage between E and N at the terminals where the mains comes
into the unit.
If it isn't between a small fraction of a volt and 3 volts, the earth
lead to the shower is broken/not connected somewhere.

hi,
although i can see the thinking behind Rogers idea, it is incorrect,
the earth terminal could be floating i.e not connected to anything and
would/could show a low or zero voltage from N to E at the terminals.
which would lead to the wrong asumption. further testing in this way
would be also be dependent on the volt meter used. this could lead to
a potentially dangerous condition, is esential that the earth is
good on this unit. i refer you to my first post, which contains the
correct way of sorting the problem, with regard to safety.
regards
bob