Peter Parry

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 13:19:03 +0100, Mr Fizzion
wrote:

On Tue, 02 Aug 2005 11:02:35 +0100, Peter Parry
wrote:

Any particulate matter can cause irritation and coughing, fibreglass
in particular can also irritate the skin. What fibreglass cannot do
is cause an allergic reaction.

That probably depends on whether you are using the term allergy in a
strict and technical sense. If you are referring only to IgE mediated
hypersensitivity, then I think you are right - an allergy can only be
cause by a protein.

As you say allergies can only be caused by a protein. Certain
medicines and radiocontrast dyes can induce sensitivity reactions and
in some cases an anaphylactoid reaction which is treated similarly to
an anaphylactic reaction.

Non protein sensitivities cannot however produce allergic
sensitisation and one cannot be allergic to fibreglass which is
essentially inert.

Aspirin, however, is not a protein, and people speak of being allergic
to aspirin.

Indeed, but it does not make it true. I know someone who claims to
be highly allergic to Asprin yet will eat Camembert Cheese by the
pound. In particular most sensitivities do not involve an allergic
reaction and specifically anaphylactic reaction.

The difference can be quite important, I once had to stop a well
meaning lady trying to inject an Epipen she carried for her own
peanut allergy into a young girl having a hysterical fit because she
had caught a whiff of floor polish which she was "allergic to" that
week.

--
Peter Parry.
http://www.wpp.ltd.uk/