Sam Goldwasser

me writes:

I cannot find anywhere replacement capacitor (680 uF, 200V). Can I use
any other value for capacitance? I need two of them replaced
(identical), they are inside switching power supply, the biggest ones.

If you are running on 240VAC you could use a single 330uF 400V cap.

- Franc Zabkar

bad idea.

No necessarily. If running a dual voltage (120/240 VAC) power supply
on 240 VAC, the input circuit forms a bridge rectifier with its output
across the two main filter caps (in series). The quesiton is what happens
with the centertap. If it's not used for anything else, then this approach
can work, but you'd have to trace the input circuit completely to be
sure it won't simply release smoke.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Mirror: http://repairfaq.ece.drexel.edu/

traffic on Repairfaq.org.