Robert Bonomi

In article .com,
bremen68 wrote:
snip

I'm guessing that you're use of the word "molly" is some sort of plug that
the screw is fastened to. I'd go that route. Drill to size for a soft metal
plug, hammer it in and then screw to that with the appropriate sized screws.

Didn't know if "molly" was a common term or not. Just what we always
called them. You're right with your guess though. Usually a plastic
plug that you put into a drilled hole, then put the screw into.

If it matters, 'molly' is short for 'molly bolt', and describes the gizmo
that is _attached_ to /part of a bolt assembly -- designed to be used on
-hollow- walls, where the assembly is placed into the hole and then
'screwed down', causing the molly assembly to flare and bind against the
back side of the wall. Once the molly assembly has been bound in place,
one can remove the bolt, place it through whatever one is mounting, and
re-apply it into the hole. This is *notably* different from the other
commonly-used form of an anchor for attaching things to hollow walls -- the
device known as a 'toggle bolt'. Which is a bolt with the spring-loaded
'wings' on the end of the bolt. compress the wings, as you poke it into
the hole (far enough that the wings pass entirely _through_ the hole, and
'spring out' into the open position. Then tighten it down to hold in place.
However, if/when you try to remove such things, as you back the bolt out,
eventually that 'wing' piece comes off the end of the bolt, and falls down
inside the wall. you have to use a new one, when putting things 'back'.

The gizmos for holding a screw/bolt into a hole drilled in a _solid_ wall
are called 'lead anchors'. Before the plastic ones came along, they were
actually made of lead. The idea behind them being that under pressure of
the screw being screwed in, the lead deforms to exactly match any
irregularities in the hole, and thus 'locks' itself into place.

Note: for using lead anchors, a 'rough' hole is better than one with very
smooth walls. chuck up a bit in a hammer-drill, and go to work. grin