dadiOH

I would appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I'm also going to
check with neighbors that have switched to tile. I know a couple are
rumored to have had trouble - one with tile that crumbled and another
with tile that was supposed to stain a certain way and it didn't.

I have Monier tile on my roof, like it fine. A few things of which you
should be aware...

1. Concrete tiles are made two ways: color through the entire tile and a
color glaze. Color through cost more but if a tile gets a chip the grey
concrete doesn't show as it does in a glazed tile. No big deal IMO, a
bit of mold and you can't see the chips.

2. Tile roofs are basically a "pretty-pretty". They themselves don't
make a roof leak proof. What does that is whatever is *under* the tile.
I used 90# roll roofing set in mopped on hot tar. Doesn't leak.

3. My tiles aren't nailed on. First (bottom) course is, all others are
mortared on. I personally wouldn't use battens...they catch water and
rot. Harder to replace tiles that are nailed on should one get broken.
Additionally, no nails = no holes = no leaks. I would presume that
mortar vs nails would depend on the roof pitch. Mine is 5:12

4. I have no qualms about walking on my roof. Don't do it often but my
200#+ have never broken a tile.

--
dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...