No matter what the can says, double the # of coats in order to have an
absolutely fine and clear finish that will last and last. Sounds like
you either didn't seal the room while working on it. Or didn't sweep
before the first vacuuming. Or you in some way shook the can. Here's
how I did it: Floor sanded: once with course; twice with fine; once
with extra fine. Hand wiped with damp lintless rags that can be thrown
out. vacuumed and let dry overnight. Open the windows to vent in the
morning after sunrise. 1st coat of finish. Close windows at dusk to
prevent moisture carriage. Hand sand with 000 or 0000 steel wool. Rub
with barely damp rag to pick up the heavy grit. Vacuum twice. Again,
in morning open windows and second finish coat doing the same
proceedure. I did this for 14 coats. It never needed polishing, just
light dusting. It lasted 20 yrs and still looked like glass. I used
Martin Seynour Clear Varnish.