Derek Broughton

Harry Chickpea wrote:

What do you consider "the most extreme climates"? Most of the US, and
practically all of Canada, are subject to regular conditions _well_
under freezing, and we do NOT have plumbing along the ridgelines of our
roofs. To prevent ice-damming, attics are kept as cold as possible, and
all
plumbing is kept below the insulation. If your attic is warm enough in
winter to prevent a pipe freezing, you're wasting too much energy.

Well... since I live in south Florida, where we haven't had a freeze
in years, and a really low air temp during the winter is 50 degrees F,
I have to respectfully disagree. :-)

What's to disagree with???? You live in the warmest part of the US! Even
most of your compatriots suffer real cold. My statement was still correct.

Nick's stomping grounds of PA don't qualify as an extreme
climate in my book.

I don't know which part of PA Nick's in, but the northern part can easily
hit -10F for lengthy periods (more than two weeks). That's _not_ what I
would call extreme, either, but it's too cold for piping above the
insulation in the attic.

--
derek