Chris Bacon

My arms and hands were actually read and feeling very itchy.

Beats tea leaves, I guess....

It made me think that I am allergic to the material they used. I told
them to remove it and put something else. Is there something else ?
and how many people have this type of loft insulation = is it safe in
the long run ?

Yes, if you don't make a habit of breathing the fibres.

They originally said it is Rockwool - whatever that is - but then said
no, it is fibreglass.

Most people installing this stuff get itchy skin. You're supposed
to wear a mask when you're installing it. Perhaps you went up
there when there was a lot of dust about.

Does this material in time become "friendly", ie not causing itchiness
and wheezing to the chest.

Once the dust settles....

Why do they put this kind of material in the lost - is it really that
effective for heat preservation in the winter ?

Becaus it's good long-lasting effective inert stuff.

Had I known it would cause this reaction I would not have had the loft
insulated.
Has anyone a similar experience - different loft insulation installed ?

Rockwool is slightly less irritating. Just don't go up in the loft,
or if you do, and you're going to stir things up, wear a mask. You
can get rockwool/fibreglass in rolls in a continuous plastic bag,
which is nicer, but you need standard joist separation to fit it.